The rise of the Asian economy and the spread of influence among ethnic Chinese have turned Mandarin Chinese into a dominant language in the 21st century; the number of students studying Mandarin Chinese has also increased. NTNU is the largest and most prestigious Mandarin language training center and Mandarin language teacher cultivation center in Taiwan. NTNU trains first-rate Mandarin language talent from different countries who return to their homeland and dedicate their efforts to spread the Taiwanese culture; these students have provided significant assistance in elevating NTNU's professional, academic, and international image. However, many students lack the means to continuous professional training in their native homes, leading to substantial gaps in the training of advanced-level overseas Mandarin teachers.
To accommodate global digital learning trends and solve the shortage of advanced-level overseas Mandarin teachers, NTNU created the first "Online MA Program in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language" in 2016 to integrate NTNU's professional faculty resources in providing a channel for professional advanced studies for overseas Mandarin educators, or overseas professionals who wish to strengthen their teaching abilities. The program also seeks to cultivate advanced-level overseas Mandarin teachers to satisfy the global demand for professional Mandarin teachers as well as high-level talent and digital technology for the management of Mandarin language education applications.
The program is designed for teachers currently working as Mandarin teachers overseas.
All program courses are taught via distance learning.
All program courses have been certified by the Ministry of Education's digital learning curriculum.
The program provides training for advanced-level Mandarin teachers, Mandarin teaching and research personnel, as well as Mandarin teaching management personnel.
30 students will enroll.
*According to the Ministry of Education Digital Masters On-the-Job Program Application Review and Certification Guidelines:Article 11, Section 3: Individuals who qualify as candidates in accordance with Article 3, Section 4 must comply with regulations in Section 1 and they must reside overseas; they must also be nationals of Taiwan with passports issued by the Republic of China, residents of Hong Kong/Macau, or foreign nationals.
※ In addition to uploading digital copies of the original graduation certification (verification), the diploma and transcript issued by the institute, applicants with a diploma from overseas, including Hong Kong and Macao must complete notarization procedures with an overseas representative office of Taiwan.
※ In addition to uploading digital copies of the original graduation certification (verification), the diploma and transcript issued by the institute, applicants with a diploma from Mainland China must also complete notarization procedures with related agencies (please refer to the "Mainland Chinese University Diploma Verification Network" at: http://emhd.nchu.edu.tw/VMHD).
※ Diploma recognition shall be processed in accordance with related regulations of the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China.
Regulations Regarding the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Academic Credentials for Institutions of Higher Education
Regulations Governing the Examination and Recognition of Educational Qualifications from Hong Kong and Macao
Regulations Regarding the Assessment and Recognition of Academic Credentials for Institutions of Higher Education in China
Reference and Roster Inquiry System for Foreign Universities
List of Recognized Universities and Higher Education Institutions in Mainland China
6. Special notes:
7. Procedures for Review:
1. Accepted students are requested to register online between May 14 (Mon.) and May 28 (Mon.), 2018 (GMT+8); those who have not completed the registration process in this time shall be deemed as voluntarily waiving their admission qualifications and no objections may be raised or no enrollment requests may be made in any way. The vacancy shall be filled in order by students on the waiting list. Students on the waiting list who are accepted should register separately, and the deadline is the day before the first day of classes for the 2018 academic year.
2. Documents to be uploaded at the time of registration:
2. Students with diplomas (study certifications) from universities or institutions in Mainland China recognized by Taiwan:
*Authenticated overseas diplomas and diplomas from Hond Kong, Macao, and Mainland China described above must be mailed to:
National Taiwan Normal University
Office of Academic Affairs Graduate Studies Division
No.162, Sec. 1, Heping E. Rd., Da’an Dist., Taipei City 10610, Taiwan. (R.O.C.)
The mailing label must indicate "Diploma Documentation for the Online MA Program in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language".
3. If an applicant is unable to submit academic certifications within the registration deadline, the applicant should sign a "Deposition of Admission Documents" (please download and print the form from the program registration webpage) and upload to the registration system during the registration period. The applicant must also submit all academic records by August 9, 2018(GMT+8). Those who have not submit the required documents by this date shall be deemed as voluntarily waiving their admission qualifications and no objections may be raised or no enrollment requests may be made in any way. The vacancy shall be filled in order by students on the waiting list.
4. Deadline for Registration Fee Submission: August 9, 2018 (GMT+8). Accepted students who have completed the check-in procedure but fails to pay the registration fee before the payment deadline shall be regarded as forfeiting their admission; their admission qualifications shall be revoked and vacant spots shall be filled by applicants on the waiting list.
5. Applicants accepted for enrollment onto the program may not have their accepted status extended to a later date.
|Course Category||Course Title||
Required / Elective
|Nuer of Credits|
|Chinese Language Core Courses||Special Topics on Chinese Linguistics||Elective||3|
|Second Language Acquisition||Elective||3|
|Chinese Society and Culture||Elective||3|
|Mandarin Instruction: Theories and Applications||Special Topics on Chinese Instructional Methodology||Required||3|
|Digital Chinese Language Teaching||Required||3|
|Mandarin Teaching Methodologies||Elective||3|
|Theory and Applications of Chinese Language Play||Elective||3|
|Assessment of Chinese Language Proficiency||Elective||3|
|Chinese Character Teaching Theory and Applications||Elective||3|
|Studies in Web-Based Training||Elective||3|
|Master dissertation (including technical reports)||3|
All matters not stipulated in this admissions prospectus shall be processed in accordance with relevant laws and regulations and the decisions of the NTNU admissions committee.